Visitors! Visitors!

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

I guess I didn't make it clear!

In my last post, I asked for a break. Just a few days with nothing going on. I will be the very first to say I had a hard week last week. The end of the week didn't get much better.

My mom came into town Friday afternoon. Our neighborhood was having a yard sale and I wanted to participate. So, we started getting the kids ready for bed. I had tried lots of Ella Grace's winter clothes from 2009 on her to see if anything would still fit. Looks like we will be doing some shopping for that girl!

We read our Bible story, had brushed teeth and it was off to bed. Nana went out to get some things from her car and I was tucking Major in bed. Ella Grace was there, too, at the foot of the bed. I saw her climb up and I kissed Major and then THUD! She went to the floor. There was a brief moment of silence and then screams of pain and fear and panic. It wasn't a normal cry by any means. I rushed over and picked her up.She was holding her hand cupped under her mouth, mouth open. One look revealed missing teeth and blood. That was enough for me and I ran through the house with her in my arms to mom who was in the garage. I was panicking and couldn't get the door open fast enough. I knocked (or beat) on the door to get her attention, then finally managed to open the door. "HELP!" was all I could muster. Mom rushed over and got a glimpse, too. We took Ella Grace to the kitchen sink where we asked her to spit. It was awful. Mom asked me where her teeth were and I told her I didn't seem them. Mom had her, so I grabbed my phone and began calling our dentist while I made my way back to Major's room.

The answering service connected me to the dentist and he asked me to go to medcenter. That's a good 20 minutes from our house. He said I may also want to call the pediatric dentist in our town. SO, I grabbed Ella Grace a pair of shorts. Mom began putting her in the car with a towel and some ice for her mouth. I did think to grab some Tylenol and Mom gave that to her while I buckled up. And off we went.

I found the number to medcenter, and much to my luck, they were already closed for the night. (This was around 9:15.) I knew my mom would be calling my dad and sisters, as well as taking care of my little man who was quite unsure and upset of all that was happening around him. I called my good friend Laurie to look up the number to the pediatric dentist. Obviously, God wanted me to call her because Laurie said "Don't forget about Luke." I admit, I had to think for a minute. Who is Luke? OH, YES! LUKE! Luke is a friend we knew from our church who has his own dental practice. Laurie called Luke, Luke called me.He said he didn't mind meeting me at the hospital ER to take a look. Laurie, meanwhile, was on her way to come sit with me. I knew I was in for a long night at the ER. Ha! I'd already done it once that week, what was another night, right?

Dr. Luke met me at one of the big hospitals here and then so kindly offered to let me follow him to his office for an X-ray. Since Laurie hadn't made it just yet I called her and arranged to pick her up so she could ride with me. Bless little Ella Grace's heart, she just was so tired and kept asking to go home so she could go to bed. And I wanted nothing more than to be able to do that and re-do everything that had already happened.

The X-ray revealed some good news. Even though her three teeth were pushed pretty far into her gum 1) they were not split, broken, cracked or damaged and 2) they were not hurting the permanent teeth you could already see developing. Thank you, Jesus! However, there really was nothing that could be done at the moment. Dr. Luke said they could come back out on their own, when they were ready. It could take several weeks or several months. They could abscess, they could turn black and brown, they could come back partially, or just fine. They could be crooked or just need to be pulled. He sent the X-ray to the other dentist and we were going to call him first thing Monday morning. Dr. Luke called in an antibiotic. After dropping Laurie back off at her car, Ella Grace and I picked up her medicine.

We pretty much went to bed as soon as we got home. Ella Grace slept with me and was pretty peaceful all night. We did continue with our yard sale Saturday morning, though. We didn't get up early, just took our time. And I'm pretty glad we did. I thought we did well!


It was pretty cold. And what is a yard sale without repo-ing some of your old toys? See that toy in the back, they haven't played with it in like two years! Now it is their favorite and they fight over it!


This was Ella Grace Saturday morning. Can you tell how swollen she is through her nose and the left side of her face.

Warning on the next photo. It is kind of gross.

You can see where her teeth are missing here; the very front two and one to the left.

We went to church as usual Sunday morning. Ella Grace even said she wanted to go. Sunday night, the swelling had gone down tremendously.

This is before she went to bed Sunday night. You can still see the swelling under her nose.

Not smiling, you can tell her face looks a little different.

Here is another warning. The next pictures are kind of graphic.



Here you can see two of her teeth. The one on your right, her left, is actually rotated a little and angled.

Just another peek in her mouth.

This was Monday morning before we headed out to see the dentist.

The pediatric dentist was pretty confident that her teeth needed to be pulled. It was a quick visit to his office and a referral to an oral surgeon. That appointment was for 12:45 on Monday (October 4). We went immediately after the first appointment to drop off the X-ray and I wanted to get the paperwork over with. We actually saw a lady from church and that cheered Ella Grace up.

Choosing a treat at the pediatric dentist.

After wasting some time, we finally got to see the surgeon. After a little thinking he decided to wait to pull the teeth. Dr. F wanted to give them some time to see what they will do and if they will come back through. I was so, so excited. I didn't want to pull them and have to go through pain and discomfort with her mouth, especially when she says now that there is no pain.

So, that's how we ended last week.

Since my babies are okay, we are good. We have leaned on the Lord a lot the last couple of weeks. I am still praying her teeth back in!

No comments: